Something else that comes up occasionally is that I'm actually kind of good at what I do, and helping others do it. To that end, I have a shareable dropbox folder I cal Px Sharesies where I put phoneticky stuff that might be of interest to colleagues.
At this point, some people will point out that my professional website hasn't actually been updated in close to 10 years, but we'll just gloss over that for the nonce.
The contents of Px Sharesies (px='phonetics', one of the many jocular abbreviations and acronyms I use, and sometimes even coin, regularly) grows occasionally, and not everyone I know who might care knows them. Maybe I'll put them in a list someday.
Px Sharesies contents (March 2019)
- King's Speech clips
- Folder. Contains clips from the film The King's Speech (2010, directed by T Hopper) relevant to Logue's fluency techniques and treatment of King George VI's stutter
- My Fair Lady clips
- Folder. Contains clips from the film My Fair Lady (1964, directed by G Cukor) relevant to transcription, dialect, phonetics demonstrations, etc.
- Phono Bingo materials
- Folder. Contains instructions, notes for instructors, sample cards, etc. for a phonological/phonetic feature-based variant of Bingo
- Annotated Bibliography for Speech Anatomy (Jan2019 draft).pdf
- PDF document. Most current version of my list of books/reference works for speech-anatomy people
- Ax cheats.xlsx
- Excel spreadsheet with multiple pages:
- A short cheat sheet for calculating variations on c=fL and uniform tube resonances
- A spreadsheet for generating nomograms for a simple two-tube C/O-C/O model as a function of combined length and speed of sound
- A table for converting 100s of Hz to Bark (Zwicker, Traunmueller, and Traunmueller corrected for high and low Bark)
- A table with information for generating Bark-warped F1/F2 grids for plotting vowels
- Bark-warped grid for vowel plots.pdf
- PDF document. A page-sized graphic of a bark-warped F1/F2 grid for graphing vowel formant spaces. Based on the table in ax cheats.
- gradesheeet eg.xlsx
- Excel spreadsheet. Generic version of my gradesheet setup with automagic calculation of interim and final grades. If you remember to fix the grading scale formula and so on
- Intro ToBI (Jan2019 draft).pdf
- PDF document. Most current distribution version of my Introduction to ToBI pape
- IPA 2015, labels redacted, symbols only.pdf
- PDF document. The 2015 IPA update, but with all the labels removed, for student reference in exams
- IPA 2015, symbols redacted, labels only.pdf
- PDF document. The 2015 IPA update, but with all the symbols removed, for student reference in exams
- Excel spreadsheet. A random table with μPascal-dB-sones equivalents (sones calculated via formula), with level descriptors (barely audible, whisper, city bus, etc.). I had to look up μPa to dB and/or dB to sones once, and built the table so I wouldn't have to keep doing it, but I don't think I've used it since. Not even sure where I got my loudness equivalents. Bad scholarship, but there it is
- Coming soon (fsvo soon)
- A very rough draft of some of the activities from my prospective workbook for acoustic phonetics