cookieOptions = {msg};

Tuesday 20 July 2010

Patrick K Hagiwara (1919-2010)

Well, I'm slowly catching up with my own life. The most important thing of recent note to mention is that my father passed away on June 24th. The obituary/tribute set up by the funeral home is perhaps the most complete. It was sad to say goodbye, of course, but wonderful to see so many relatives and old friends of the family. Also our new Rector (i.e. the Episcopalian analogue of a Parish priest) who was an enormous comfort to us, and enjoys a good laugh. Good qualities in a priest.

Am officially back from my "Research Leave" (sabbatical) as of July 1st, but haven't been to the office yet. Have apparently irrevocably lost the key to my office, so we'll have to get a replacement.

Have asked my Head to nominate committees for my remaining two students' MA thesis defenses, and with any luck at all we can get them both done and ootadere by the middle of August, and I can have a couple of weeks to just prep classes for September. And write the final report about my sabbatical.

But now is the middle of the 23rd annual Winnipeg Fringe Theatre Festival ("Fringe and Beyond"), at which I am again volunteering, this year (like last) in "Front of House Prep", a busy office where we reconcile all cash proceeds from the festival, manage performer and media services, and basically keep the place running for the 12 days of the festival. The nice thing about the job is a) I get to count a lot of money a lot of different ways, b) I work with people who for the most part know what they're doing and c) I don't ever have to deal with wet, angry patrons (or performers, or technicians) ever, ever again. The bad part of the job is that I'm not in charge of the walkie-talkie for the area, although I occasionally get to answer questions and make snarky announcements about properly voiding used-but-unsold tickets.

So that's all for now. Gotta see a man about some zzzzz. More next week maybe.

No comments: