cookieOptions = {msg};

Wednesday 18 April 2012

My best toddler story

This has come up with my nephew and his mother-in-law on Facebook recently, and this story is too good not to tell again.

My dad used to pick Michael and his brother up at daycare and they'd spend a couple of hours at the house until his mom or dad could pick them up before dinner time. 

One afternoon, I was making tacos or something for dinner and Michael saw me shaking chili powder into the pan.  He asked what it was and I said something about it being spices for what I was making for dinner that night. Then he asked if he could have some.

Me: "You want to try the spices?"

Michael: "Yes."

Me: "It's spicy. You might not like it."

Michael: "I wanna try."

So I gave him a little bit in the palm of his hand which he picked up on his fingers and put in his mouth. And then he toddled away.

A few minutes later, he came back, asking for more.

Me: "More? Are you sure?"

Michael: "Yes."

So I gave him a little more.  Maybe 1/16 teaspoon. Enough for a couple of good licks, but not enough to make him sick.  And he happily toddled away.

A few minutes after that, he came back, asking for even more.

Me: "Really? You're sure you want more?"

Michael: "Yes."

At which point I looked at the clock.  His father was not more than 5-10 minutes away.  And I thought "Well, not my kid." and so I gave him more.  Probably about 1/4 teaspoon. It looked like a lot for a little guy, but wasn't really a lot by culinary standards. 

And, as I said, not my kid.

I *think* I told his father when he came to pick him up. I know I *meant* to.

No comments: