cookieOptions = {msg};

Friday 4 April 2014

Speech anatomy resources

A student asked me to put together a list of resources in support of anatomy/physiology study for speech/language/hearing, so I thought I'd make this public before I forgot about it.

Anatomy and physiology, in my opinion, is the sort of thing that only really starts to stick after the second or third go-round. In my classes, I'm more concerned with the typical adult case (as opposed to the atypical or developmental cases), and preparing the student to 'enter the litearture' rather than making sure they get it all in on the first try. I concentrate on big structures, connections, and functions, and throw in enough Latin and classic names (Eustace, Roland, Sylvus, and so on) so that the student can read 'real' stuff and get more.

So this list is sort of a mix of stuff that I think of as being 'this' level, and the next level up.

Perkins, William H and Raymond D Kent (1986). Functional Anatomy for Speech, Hearing, and Language: An Introduction. Taylor and Francis.
This may be out of print, but it's the textbook I use in my anat and phys classes.  It's oversized, but loaded with clear line drawings and concise descriptions.
Update:Not out of print. Yay, team.
 
Seikel, J Anthony, Douglas W King and David G Drumright (2010). Anatomy and Physiology for Speech, Language, and Hearing (4th ed). Delmar Cengage Learning.
Newer, the fourth edition is probably the most current intro textbook for this material, comes bound with a StudyWare CD with some great interactive quiz materials. Missing are the earlier 'click and exlplore' diagrams, but the old diagrams were of limited resolution and utility. I don't use it as a textbook because the earlier (I think second) edition I reviewed almost always chose names for things which were different than what I was used to (in anatomy there are always three different names for everything, and in the case of speech/hearing anatomy there are different traditions that add another layer). So I'm on the fence about the new edition as a primary textbook, but if I had to pick a new one tomorrow, I'd pick this.
 
Dickson, David Ross and Wilma Maue-Dickson (1982). Anatomical and Physiological Bases of Speech. Little Brown and Co.
Definitely out of print, but the book I learned a lot out of: this book. It's relatively concise, and is a very accessible read.
 
Zemlin, Willard R (1998). Speech and Hearing Science: Anatomy and Physiology (4th ed). Allyn & Bacon
This is “The Bible” of speech and hearing anatomy; The fourth edition seems to still be current, but there's a recent 'workbook and study guide', which I've only just looked at.
 
Fuller, Donald R, Jane T Pimentel and Barbara M Perogoy (2012). Applied Anatomy & Physiology for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology. Wolters Kluwer Health (Lippincott Willams & Wilkins).
I haven't read this book thoroughly, but it seems to be the only textbook of this time with a definite focus on atypical structures and development. So for the burgeoning SLP type, this might be the way to go. As a linguist who only serves the SLP-bound peripherally, I think it's more important to get a good foundation in the typical case, but maybe that's just me.
 
Kapit, Wynn and Lawrence M Elson. The Anatomy Coloring Book.
and
Diamond, Marian C, Arnold B Scheibel and Lawrence M Elson. The Human Brain Coloring Book.
These are not speech/language/hearing specific, but you can't do better than without actually dissecting something. These books go through different editions with different publishers, but you want to look for these authors in particular (there are other coloring books with similar titles out there. These are the best.)
 
Netter, Frank H (2003). Atlas of Human Anatomy (4th ed). Saunders (Elsevier).
For my money, the best atlas of anatomy available. Netter was an MD and anatomical artist, and this book is just plate after plate of his paintings. Some in 'natural' color, some are colored consistently in plate to plate so you can focus on the same structure from different angles (e.g. the Sphenoid Bone is always yellow in plates of the skull/cranium from the front, side, above and below). Simply beautiful paintings of just about every structure in the body you'd ever want to look at.
 
McFarland, David H (2009). Netter’s Atlas of Anatomy for Speech, Swallowing, and Hearing. Mosby (Elsevier).
This one is new to me. McFarland has taken relevant plates from Netter, and added descriptive text, elaborating the structures, their blood supply and innervation, and function.


No comments: