cookieOptions = {msg};

Tuesday 19 March 2019

Phonetic sharesies

General issues of personal research productivity aside, I'm fairly well known in my field. Sometimes liked. Even vaguely respected sometimes. Part of that is being the student of who I am the student of, and part of it is the fact that until recently I have never (and still rarely) turned down the opportunity to do peer-reviews for journals. "Always make nice-nice with editors" has long been one of my mottos.

Something else that comes up occasionally is that I'm actually kind of good at what I do, and helping others do it. To that end, I have a shareable dropbox folder I cal Px Sharesies where I put phoneticky stuff that might be of interest to colleagues.

At this point, some people will point out that my professional website hasn't actually been updated in close to 10 years, but we'll just gloss over that for the nonce.

The contents of Px Sharesies (px='phonetics', one of the many jocular abbreviations and acronyms I use, and sometimes even coin, regularly) grows occasionally, and not everyone I know who might care knows them.  Maybe I'll put them in a list someday.

Px Sharesies contents (March 2019)
King's Speech clips
Folder. Contains clips from the film The King's Speech (2010, directed by T Hopper) relevant to Logue's fluency techniques and treatment of King George VI's stutter
My Fair Lady clips
Folder. Contains clips from the film My Fair Lady (1964, directed by G Cukor) relevant to transcription, dialect, phonetics demonstrations, etc.
Phono Bingo materials
Folder. Contains instructions, notes for instructors, sample cards, etc. for a phonological/phonetic feature-based variant of Bingo
Annotated Bibliography for Speech Anatomy (Jan2019 draft).pdf
PDF document. Most current version of my list of books/reference works for speech-anatomy people
Ax cheats.xlsx
Excel spreadsheet with multiple pages:
  • A short cheat sheet for calculating variations on c=fL and uniform tube resonances
  • A spreadsheet for generating nomograms for a simple two-tube C/O-C/O model as a function of combined length and speed of sound
  • A table for converting 100s of Hz to Bark (Zwicker, Traunmueller, and Traunmueller corrected for high and low Bark)
  • A table with information for generating Bark-warped F1/F2 grids for plotting vowels
Bark-warped grid for vowel plots.pdf
PDF document. A page-sized graphic of a bark-warped F1/F2 grid for graphing vowel formant spaces. Based on the table in ax cheats.
gradesheeet eg.xlsx
Excel spreadsheet. Generic version of my gradesheet setup with automagic calculation of interim and final grades. If you remember to fix the grading scale formula and so on
Intro ToBI (Jan2019 draft).pdf
PDF document. Most current distribution version of my Introduction to ToBI pape
IPA 2015, labels redacted, symbols only.pdf
PDF document. The 2015 IPA update, but with all the labels removed, for student reference in exams
IPA 2015, symbols redacted, labels only.pdf
PDF document. The 2015 IPA update, but with all the symbols removed, for student reference in exams
sones.xlsx
Excel spreadsheet. A random table with μPascal-dB-sones equivalents (sones calculated via formula), with level descriptors (barely audible, whisper, city bus, etc.). I had to look up μPa to dB and/or dB to sones once, and built the table so I wouldn't have to keep doing it, but I don't think I've used it since. Not even sure where I got my loudness equivalents. Bad scholarship, but there it is
Coming soon (fsvo soon)
A very rough draft of some of the activities from my prospective workbook for acoustic phonetics
This being a public blog post, I don't want to just post the link, but if you have any use for any of this, send me a DM and I'll send you the link.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dr. Hagiwara, I had just finished reading your 2009 article on the spectogram [https://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~robh/howto.html. I recently took a reading of a Spectrogram free iphone app provided by SpectrumView [https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/spectrumview/id472662922?mt=8]. I have a constant reading at 100 HZ 24 hours on any given day. Is there anymore information I can find out about this? Dan

kristinahojholt said...

I together with my guys happened to be reviewing the best secrets on your website and so at once I got a terrible feeling I had not expressed respect to the web blog owner for those strategies. Most of the young men ended up totally passionate to learn them and have in effect without a doubt been enjoying them. I appreciate you for getting really kind and also for getting this kind of really good subjects millions of individuals are really eager to discover. Our sincere regret for not saying thanks to you sooner.
how to buy shares in nz