cookieOptions = {msg};

Wednesday 4 July 2007

Independence Day ... or the best laid plans

Back when I was a newcomer to the lustrous shores of Canadia, I used to make a point of taking holidays from the Old Country off. Real Thanksgiving. Fourth of July. Presidents' Day. Of course I also took off the Canadian holidays--fake thanksgiving, Victoria Day, first Monday in August, but that was a matter of statute and assimilation.

But here I am, at work. I had a meeting with the outgoing chair of the graduate committee (and acting (and presumptive) head) about stuff. Which involved a little work talk and a lot of nice random conversation over lunch at the Faculty Club. But here I am, trying to catch up with work.

And wrapping my brain around the two curve balls I've been thrown: 1) my yoga class has been cancelled for the rest of the summer, 2) I've been asked to trade General Phonetics (which I was not looking forward to teaching) at a great hour to teach it, for Language and Gender (which I wouldn't mind teaching) at the precise hour I would have selected *not* to teach it.

I don't know what I'm going to do about yoga, but this teaching change has me loopy. I've taught L&G before, and I want to again. But I don't want to teach it and my seminar in adjacent hours three days a week. MWF 12:30-1:20 for L&G and MWF 1:30-2:20 for the seminar.

I tend to over-talk, especially in larger classes (which L&G is), which means by the end of the seminar, I won't have a voice anymore. Unless I clean up my vocal hygiene a lot.

But when is a body supposed to have lunch?

No comments: