cookieOptions = {msg};

Saturday 24 May 2008

Would you serve as Vice President?

The Hill asked all 97 senators who were not at the moment actually running for president if they would run for Veep. They report all 97 answers, verbatim, on their website.

NPR's "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me"'s Daily Quiz jumped on this story, with the following observations:

Most of them said the politically correct thing: "No, I love my current job working for the people who elected me." Some laughed at the idea, and some were more honest. Said Republican Sen. Bob Bennett of Utah: "Of course. Big house, big car, not much to do. Why not?" Republican Larry Craig's response was the weirdest: "I would say, 'No, Hillary.'"

Was Craig saying he expects Clinton to be the Democratic nominee? Or the President? But why would she ask a Republican to be on the ticket? It seems that, once again, Sen. Craig was making a tragic misjudgment about who was interested in him.


But it seems that the Senate is taking a dim view of recent Veepish shenanigans. From Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN): "I know already who it will be: the man in charge of the search. There’s no need for me to respond. That’s how you get to be vice president." And Sen. John Barrasso (R-WY): "We already have a vice president from Wyoming. So we’ll have to see if Sen. McCain asks me to chair his selection committee. That seems to work well. It certainly seemed to work well for the last guy from Wyoming."

Unless my reading of these comments as ironic is wrong. <shudder>

No comments: