cookieOptions = {msg};

Saturday 11 November 2006

Blue Teddy

So that's Blue Teddy. My favo(u)rite bear. The first stuffed animal I thought of as 'mine'. Turns out there was an earlier one, the kind with a music box in his butt, but my sister broke it, so by the time I became aware of 'mine' and 'yours' Brownie (he was brown) (well, beige) wasn't 'really' mine.

Bluey came from a church bazaar, as I recall, when I was really, really little. Four, maybe five, I think. We were in the 'new house', the house I grew up in where my parents still live, so at least four. Anyway, I got him in a game or something. Or maybe someone bought him for me. I don't remember. But he was all mine. And I named him "Blue Teddy" because even then I was so creative no one could keep up with me.

His ears fit perfectly in my little hand, so I used to carry him everywhere by his right ear, which is why it's a little floppy today. His mouth is drawn on, originally in felt pen or something so it has been redrawn several times. The ribbon I added in college. I forget why.

He's gone everywhere with me, and he's still enormously special to me. He lives among a plethora of other blue bears, which I started collecting in Grad School (when it was still very hard to find blue bears). I'm thinking of downscaling the collection, since most of them aren't 'special'. But Blue will always be with me, if I have anything to say about it.

No comments: